Monday, March 10, 2014

Guest Photographers? | Virginia, Maryland and DC Wedding Photographer

Monday, March 10, 2014

Happy Monday, Lovelies!

Sorry that I haven’t written in so long!  I have a ton of really cool projects the budding process.  I want to share them with you sooo badly, but it’s just a tad bit soon!  I’m giddy!!  

This weekend I shot a few more test drives.  I’ll share those with you soon!

Today, I wanted to touch base about a very hot topic in wedding photography: wedding guests and their cameras.

Nearly every client wants to know my thoughts about guest photographers.  Great!  My contract states I will be the only professional photographer, but if Uncle Bob wants to get in on the action?  My general answer is—SURE!

What?!?  Most photographers are nearly angry about guest photographers and encourage you to have an unplugged wedding… so, what’s up?

My style when I’m photographing is much quieter.  I’m kind of like a **SNEAK ATTACK!** kind of photographer. 

If your guests are getting in my way or are directing you or other people while I’m shooting…  “Look over here, [bride]!”  “Now kiss her, [groom]!”  I’ll probably say—“Uncle Bob, those are awesome ideas, but would you mind if I get my shots first?  I don’t want to be late for the next event!”

Don’t worry about family being distracting to me.  It’s your day!  It’s my job to get you amazing photos and not to be rude to your family.  I would not feel comfortable throwing a diva moment and refusing to shoot until Uncle Bob stops.

Guest photography I can’t control:
- A guest stepping in front of me, when I’m not allowed to move or cannot move around them.
- A guest camera flash.

If you’re getting married in a Catholic church in the Archdiocese of Arlington, there are significant photography restrictions. Many of the Catholic churches require that the photographer remain at the back of the church. 


I can use zooms to hunt you like a gazelle, but if a guest steps into the aisle to get a photo of your kiss?  I can’t run up the aisle to ask the guest to stay in the pew.  And, if I could, I wouldn’t have time to run back to photograph your first kiss.


Secondly, camera flashes are POWERFUL.  **One** alone meant to light you up in a dark room.  Now, add my flash and a guest's?  Too much light.  Now, add 20 guest photographers?  TOO MUCH LIGHT.

Unless you have an unplugged wedding (where you ask guests to put away all technology), some of your photos will be ruined by guest camera flashes. 

I take so many photos that guest flashes aren’t usually too much of a problem.  Admittedly, half of the photos of you walking down the aisle and several of the the first kiss photos aren’t usable.  Every person with a camera photographs those two events... and they happen quickly.

Are you concerned about how to make your photos spot on?  Drop me a note!  I host “test drives” all the time where we meet for about 20 minutes to discuss issues like overcoming guest photographers and church restrictions.  Then, we shoot for about 20 minutes so you can see how I shoot and edit.  I’ll even give you a few images to update your Facebook profile.

All for free!

Shoot me an email at: info@jalapenophotography.com

0 Haute Comments Posted:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...