Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Planning for Technology to Fail | Washington, D.C. Wedding Photographer

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Happy Wednesday, Lovelies!

Do you feel like maaaaybe you shouldn’t have celebrate so soon?  Today, I do!  I was so excited about booking two weddings in less than 24 hours, and then one of my external harddrives starts to fail.  I back up all my client work online and on an external hard drive, but I haven’t been as cautious with my personal work, family photos, old resumes, etc.

It may seem overly cautious to back up to TWO external hard drives, but it’s the reality of the world today, and 22 of my last 24 hours.

In fact, technological failure is also a reality of the world today.  For instance, knock on wood and please don’t tell karma I said this, but I haven’t had a camera fail.  (I’m throwing salt over my shoulder and crossing my fingers... where is my lucky rabbit's foot?)  But, I plan for my cameras to fail.  I always bring two cameras, and to weddings, I bring a “incase the-whole-world-goes-to-crap” back up to my back up.

Knowing your cameras technological limitations is important.  While shooting these redunkously adorable folks below, my camera stopped working.  It was operating like molasses.  Shoot…. Process…. Process… images appears on the LCD.  I was asking it to shoot-image-shoot-image-shoot-image-shoot-image.

I thought to myself, am I going to need to pull out my backup?!  Nope, as I shot test drives last weekend, I was asking my camera to do a lot.  Sit in a nice, warm café, then shoot-shoot-shoot like an Olympic sprinter just off the starting block.

Well, cameras need an opportunity to cool down.  After allowing my camera to adjust to the outside temperature, it worked like a champ!  It’s such a stud!

So, when you’re meeting with your wedding photographer, ask about how she or she plans for technology failures, and what is or her back up systems are.  Good photographers cost a bit more, but think about loosing your wedding photos!  Sure, you probably will be able to recoop the money, but the images will be gone forever.  In my book, knowing that your images are protected is worth a couple bucks more.


0 Haute Comments Posted:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...